Saturday 26 January 2013

The Social Side Of Edison -8


The Social Side Of Edison -8

 The conversations with Edison that elicited these stories brought out some details as to
peril that attends experimentation. He has confronted many a serious physical risk, and
counts himself lucky to have come through without a scratch or scar. Four instances of
personal danger may be noted in his own language: "When I started at Menlo, I had an
electric furnace for welding rare metals that I did not know about very clearly. I was in
the dark-room, where I had a lot of chloride of sulphur, a very corrosive liquid. I did not
know that it would decompose by water. I poured in a beakerful of water, and the whole
thing exploded and threw a lot of it into my eyes. I ran to the hydrant, leaned over
backward, opened my eyes, and ran the hydrant water right into them. But it was two
weeks before I could see.
"The next time we just saved ourselves. I was making some stuff to squirt into filaments
for the incandescent lamp. I made about a pound of it. I had used ammonia and bromine.
I did not know it at the time, but I had made bromide of nitrogen. I put the large bulk of it
in three filters, and after it had been washed and all the water had come through the filter,
I opened the three filters and laid them on a hot steam plate to dry with the stuff. While I
and Mr. Sadler, one of my assistants, were working near it, there was a sudden flash of
light, and a very smart explosion. I said to Sadler: `What is that?' `I don't know,' he said,
and we paid no attention. In about half a minute there was a sharp concussion, and Sadler
said: `See, it is that stuff on the steam plate.' I grabbed the whole thing and threw it in the
sink, and poured water on it. I saved a little of it and found it was a terrific explosive. The
reason why those little preliminary explosions took place was that a little had spattered
out on the edge of the filter paper, and had dried first and exploded. Had the main body
exploded there would have been nothing left of the laboratory I was working in.
"At another time, I had a briquetting machine for briquetting iron ore. I had a lever held
down by a powerful spring, and a rod one inch in diameter and four feet long. While I
was experimenting with it, and standing beside it, a washer broke, and that spring threw
the rod right up to the ceiling with a blast; and it came down again just within an inch of
my nose, and went clear through a two-inch plank. That was `within an inch of your life,'
as they say.
"In my experimental plant for concentrating iron ore in the northern part of New Jersey,
we had a verti- cal drier, a column about nine feet square and eighty feet high. At the
bottom there was a space where two men could go through a hole; and then all the rest of
the column was filled with baffle plates. One day this drier got blocked, and the ore
would not run down. So I and the vice-president of the company, Mr. Mallory, crowded
through the manhole to see why the ore would not come down. After we got in, the ore
did come down and there were fourteen tons of it above us. The men outside knew we
were in there, and they had a great time digging us out and getting air to us."

No comments:

Post a Comment