Chapter 1
|
After the FBI announced that they had caught the
|
Pentagon Hacker
|
in a
|
Seattle high school, the first thing everybody wanted
to know was how I did it. How
|
could some high school student, working alone on a
home computer, get into a
|
classified area of the Pentagon network, and start
quietly looking around?
|
The newspapers said that I must have been working with
an insider. The
|
television news, which called it the
|
biggest military computer break-in of all time
|
,
|
said that I was probably funded by a criminal
organization.
|
What could I say to that? I wasn’t exactly a computer
criminal—more like a
|
computer trespasser. I mean, if you leave your door
unlocked, you’ve got to expect
|
that sooner or later, someone is going to open it to
see what’s behind it. Besides, I
|
never stole any secrets, I never took any money or
credit card details, and I never sent
|
out a single virus or Trojan horse.
|
But try telling that to the FBI. They interrogated me
for days, wanting to know
|
how I had managed to get a privileged user account.
What could I say? That I had
|
phoned them and asked them for it . . .
|
“I.T. Services, good afternoon,” said the voice on the
other end of the line.
|
“Hi. Can I speak to Amanda, please?”
|
Amanda was an older woman who had been helpful the
last time I had spoken
|
to her, though on that occasion I had been an office
manager.
|
“I’m not sure if she is in. Who’s calling, please?”
|
“It’s John Halsey.”
|
John Halsey was another of my alter egos: a college
graduate—polite, well
|
dressed, and well groomed—a guy who might raise a
smile among the women in the
|
office, a decent boy they wouldn’t mind introducing to
their own daughters. He also
|
happened to have recently started work at the
Pentagon.
|
“One minute, please.”
|
There was a click on the line as the call was patched
through to Amanda.
|
“Hello?”
|
“Hi, Amanda. It’s John Halsey. I’m calling about my
new user account.”
|
There was a pause while Amanda waited for me to
explain.
|
“I’ve only been here a few weeks, and I’ve forgotten
my password already.
|
Bill Harlow said you’d be able to help me out.” I used
a high-level manager’s name
|
on purpose; it always amazes me how much of a
difference a bit of insider
|
information and name-dropping can make.
|
“Okay. I’ll have to take you through security before I
can reset your
|
password.”
|
“That’s the problem. My manager sent the security
documents to your
|
department, but they didn’t go through yet. I just
spoke to somebody about it ten
|
minutes ago.”
|
“Oh, I see. I’m sorry, but I can’t reset your password
without going through
|
security.”
|
“I'm going to get into trouble, then. I just started
here, and I can’t even log on
|
to my computer.”
|
There was a pause. Amanda, I knew, was wrestling with
her conscience. That
|
was why I had chosen to talk to her. Middle-aged women
often have children my
|
age—Halsey’s age—and they identify with me. They
wouldn’t want me to get into
|
trouble.
|
“Who’s your manager there?”
|
“Ray Hollis. Please don’t say anything to him. He gave
me a lecture on
|
Monday about security. Normally, I’m good about these
things. Could you help me
|
out? You don’t have to change my password. Just reset
it to the default?”
|
“Um . . .”
|
Of course, I was asking Amanda to do something that
was against company
|
policy. The helpdesk policy forbids staff from ever
giving out passwords over the
|
phone. That would be crazy. But if you go through the
security process successfully,
|
then they will reset it to the default for that
department, which I had found out the
|
previous week to be the current date, separated by
dashes.
|
“It’s not like you’re giving out my password or
anything, is it?” I persisted.
|
“Is this a new account?”
|
“Yeah, I just got it.”
|
“All right, I’ll reset the password to the default.”
|
“Oh, thanks. You saved me.”
|
“Try not to forget your password again,” Amanda said
in a maternal tone.
|
“I won’t,” I replied meekly.
|
“Have a nice day.”
|
That was it. I had obtained the next level of security
clearance. The next day, I
|
would switch from the phone back to the computer, and
within perhaps a month or
|
two I would be all the way inside, with access to
systems in the military that many
|
generals couldn’t see. I had done it at other
companies, dozens of times. Why should
|
the Pentagon be any different?
|
Was this illegal? Sure, but at that point, I wasn’t
worried about getting caught.
|
I was too careful for that, or so I thought. In the
end, my closest friends sold me out.
|
My own crew.
|
I remember the day the FBI arrested me. It was a quiet
and uneventful school
|
day—up to that point. Walking down the corridor, I was
daydreaming about my next
|
hack, when I noticed one of my teachers, Mr. O’Meara,
standing in the middle of the
|
corridor, looking at me. The students had nicknamed
him “Dreary O’Meara,” because
|
his teaching style was one long monotonous drone.
Looking back, I can picture him
|
drilling FBI recruits in that same voice, telling them
the correct way to handcuff
|
suspects. But at that point, I didn’t know what his
real job was.
|
I stopped walking. Just to play it safe, I turned to
go back the other way, and
|
noticed two men in suits approaching me. I knew the
day had come. They had found
|
me.
|
I hit the stairs that led upwards, at full speed. I
heard O’Meara, or whatever his
|
real name was, shout, “Get him!”
|
I burst through the classroom door at the top of the
stairs, and went through
|
one room and into another, closing the adjoining door,
and wedging a chair behind it.
|
I had ten seconds on the FBI at the most, and had to
think quickly. I opened the
|
window, but could see that it was too high to jump.
|
Every sailor has his ‘ditch kit’—the bag of food,
water, and maps that he
|
keeps at the boat’s exit, in case of disaster. I had
my own emergency escape plan, too.
|
You never know what you might need, on a rainy day.
But since I was nowhere near
|
any of the exits, I knew it wasn’t going to work.
|
The best I could hope for was to try to hide, and pray
that I had enough time to
|
wipe my notebook computer clean of any incriminating
evidence left over from
|
previous hacks. I took it out of my backpack, and
threw the bag out the window onto
|
the ground below, as a decoy—one of the oldest tricks
in the book.
|
I left the window open, and ran to the exit door. Back
in the corridor, I looked
|
down the stairway, and saw O’Meara coming up. He had
doubled-back, looking to cut
|
me off. I started running again, and made it to the
next set of stairs. Before I jumped
|
the banister, I heard someone shout, “The window!”
|
Moving quickly among the students, I made my way to
the entrance of the
|
school offices. I slowed to a walking pace, and went
in. Only staff were allowed past
|
this point, but I knew my way around. After hacking
and cracking started to take up
|
most of my free time, I’d had to discuss my schoolwork
with a counselor, Mr. Alton.
|
He had arranged for an IQ test, on which I had scored
only 71, and he told me that I
|
was probably autistic. I pointed out that I had filled
the answers in backwards, as a
|
test for him, which he had failed, and after that he
stopped talking to me. But I still
|
knew my way around his office, which he kept unlocked
at lunch time.
|
I went in, and crouched down under the desk. I opened
the lid of my computer,
|
and hit the space bar, making it come out of standby
mode.
|
I hit the function key that I had programmed to begin
scrambling the RAM
|
disk. RAM disks are much quicker to wipe clean of any
trace evidence than hard
|
disks. Then I opened Alton’s desk drawer, stuck the
computer inside, as it continued
|
wiping the incriminating data, and closed the drawer.
|
I opened the door, and peeked out. There was nobody
around. I tiptoed along
|
the corridor. When I got to the first corner, I peeked
around it, and then moved
|
quickly down the stairs, to the outside door. Looking
through the fireproof mesh of
|
glass and metal, I could see the pathway was deserted.
I opened the door to leave, but
|
immediately someone grabbed me from behind, and shoved
me to the floor, with a
|
knee on top of me for good measure.
|
“Karl Ripley, I am arresting you for computer
espionage,” said a voice behind
|
me.
|
Then I heard another voice ask, “Where is it? Where is
it?”
|
That was Agent North, wanting to know where my
computer was. I wasn’t
|
about to tell him, or anyone else. I was counting
slowly to myself: one thousand, one
|
thousand one, one thousand two . . .
|
Agent after agent turned up, but I didn’t tell them,
either. They were quick to
|
find my computer, but not quick enough to prevent its
memory from being wiped
|
clean thirty-five times over. They would get nothing
from it. North had been counting
|
on getting to the hard disk in my machine. But I never
used writable disks when I was
|
hacking. Why leave a trail of evidence? My code of
practice was: take only memories.
|
“Get him up,” ordered North. With my hands cuffed
behind my back, the
|
agents lifted me to face him. I could see the triumph
in his eyes. He had finally
|
arrested the infamous Pentagon hacker. But I thought
there was something else, too—
|
some confusion, perhaps. Two of the points on the
FBI’s criminal profile had been
|
wrong. Perhaps it was those two little mistakes that
had allowed me to avoid capture
|
for so long. The FBI had been looking for a man with
an advanced degree in
|
computer science, and in his mid-twenties. But I was a
high school student, and I was
|
only sixteen years old.
|
After my arrest, the papers went crazy, calling me the
most notorious hacker
|
ever, and speculating that I had pulled off the
greatest hack of all time. If they had
|
known about what followed—how I worked for the FBI and
met Grace, and all that—
|
perhaps they would have had a different opinion. To my
mind, that was always my
|
best hack. But, of course, all that was kept secret.
|
Until now.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment