|
Chapter 2
|
|
“Sit down,” ordered the burly guard.
|
|
I pulled the gray metal chair from under the table,
which was somewhat
|
|
awkward because of the handcuffs, and sat down, facing
two men I had never seen
|
|
before. They looked like FBI agents. After a while,
you get to know the business-
|
|
casual clothes, and the no-nonsense attitude. It had
been three months since the FBI’s
|
|
previous visit. A woman from the forensics division
had come to ask for my help in
|
|
creating a profile of the computer criminal’s mind. I
couldn’t help her, but I had
|
|
gotten a good idea of the profile of law enforcement
psychologists.
|
|
Neither of these men looked like shrinks, so I figured
that they were from the
|
|
still-young Cyber Crime Division.
|
|
“Guard, those aren’t necessary,” said the first man.
The guard unlocked and
|
|
removed the restraints, and then quietly left the
room, leaving me alone with the feds.
|
|
“Hello, Karl,” said the first man, in a surprisingly
pleasant voice. He might
|
|
have been greeting Karl, the cheerful boy next door
over the garden fence. “I’m
|
|
Special Agent Philips, and this is Special Agent
Garman. We’re with the Federal
|
|
Bureau of Investigation.”
|
|
Philips was in his mid-thirties, and had a well-fed
look. Despite being a bit
|
|
heavier than the Surgeon General would recommend,
Philips was solidly built and
|
|
looked like the compulsory FBI fitness test wouldn’t
give him any grief. Garman was
|
|
cut from the same mold, except that he was younger,
leaner, and darker, and had a
|
|
mustache that was probably intended to detract from
his receding hairline.
|
|
“Hi,” I replied.
|
|
“How are you?”
|
|
“Fine, thanks,” I said politely. Shortly after my
arrest, I had learned the hard
|
|
way that when the police are being polite to you, they
expect you to return the
|
|
courtesy. In fact, they insist.
|
|
Philips nodded, and said, “Good.” He wasn’t smiling,
but he seemed
|
|
optimistic about something.
|
|
“So, I guess this is your last week inside. Come
Monday, you’ll be on
|
|
supervised release?”
|
|
“Yes.”
|
|
“Have you got anything lined up?”
|
|
“What do you mean?”
|
|
“I guess you’ll need a job to pay the rent.”
|
|
“My parole officer has found me a position.”
|
|
“That’s good. What are you going to be doing, if you
don’t mind me asking?”
|
|
I didn’t mind him asking, though the information would
have been in my file,
|
|
which he had probably already read.
|
|
“Making pizza.” That was the only job I’d been
offered. Making money by
|
|
writing a book about my ‘exploits’ had occurred to me,
but was impossible, since I
|
|
had been forced to bargain away everything I had just
to get out of jail. That included
|
|
publishing privileges. Anyway, if any publishers had
the same idea, they hadn’t
|
|
mentioned it to me. Being called a terrorist usually
has a bad effect on your public
|
|
appeal.
|
|
“I see,” Philips said.
|
|
After telling him that the guy who had spent months
making his department
|
|
look bad was going to be making pizzas, I had expected
a grin from Philips. But his
|
|
“Are you looking forward to starting?” he asked,
seriously.
|
|
“Yes, I am, now that I’ve got a second chance. I’m
going to make something
|
|
of this opportunity. My hacking days are behind me. I
just want to settle down, and
|
|
stay out of trouble.”
|
|
Both men looked at each other, and Philips’s smile
became real at last.
|
|
Some of his optimism was apparently replaced by the
cynical worldliness I had
|
|
become more familiar with in police officers.
|
|
“You can drop the spiel, Karl,” he said. “We’re not
with the parole board. You
|
|
don’t have to convince us of anything. We’re from the
Cyber Crime Division. We’ve
|
|
come to offer you a job.”
|
|
“A job?” I echoed. It is not every day that the FBI
recruits from the Cedar
|
|
Creek Corrections Center, which is the Washington
State prison in Littlerock.
|
|
“Yes, something in your line of work.”
|
|
“Pizza?”
|
|
“Computers.”
|
|
“For the FBI?”
|
|
“Yes.”
|
|
“You want me to work as a . . . consultant?”
|
|
“Right now, we could use your skills.”
|
|
I stared at Philips.
|
|
After a minute, he said, “What do you think?”
|
|
“Do you have a dental plan?” I asked.
|
|
Garman frowned, clearly annoyed. But Philips just
smiled at the smart-mouth
|
|
kid who was being a little rude to Mr. Philips.
|
|
“No. What we have is a chance for you to wipe some of
those black marks off
|
|
your record, by putting your computer skills and your
. . .” he paused, searching for
|
|
the correct phrase, “social engineering talents to
good use.”
|
|
“Uh-huh.”
|
|
“You see, since your little stunt at the Pentagon six
months ago, we’ve been
|
|
troubled by a series of similar computer break-ins.
Young kids, even younger than
|
|
you, have been targeting sensitive installations.”
|
|
“You are a role model to terrorists,” added Garman,
finding his voice at last.
|
|
There was more than a hint of genuine anger in it.
Philips gave him a look, as if to
|
|
restrain him.
|
|
“We haven’t had any major breaches of security,”
continued Philips, “but it’s
|
|
only a matter of time.”
|
|
I sat up a little more, and rubbed my forehead, like a
guy coming out of a
|
|
dream in which the most bizarre and unlikely events
had unfolded. The FBI offering
|
|
me a job certainly qualified as bizarre. Philips
reached down to a black briefcase on
|
|
the floor, and pulled out three photographs.
|
|
“Our last three arrests have been boys under the age
of sixteen.”
|
|
He spread on the table photographs of three
harmless-looking high school
|
|
boys. Having been in jail for over six months, I had
read and heard nothing about this.
|
|
According to one report I read, computer-related
crimes cost the government more
|
|
than fifty billion dollars a year. But I had no idea
that people my age were part of it.
|
|
High school hackers most often go after trivial
targets, just for laughs. I remember a
|
|
story about some fifteen year old breaking into a
well-known take-out food
|
|
company’s website, and adding Chocodiles and jelly
beans to the list of pizza
|
|
toppings. That was the sort of thing that teens went
in for.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment