Saturday 26 January 2013

The Social Side Of Edison -2


The Social Side Of Edison -2

 Reference has already been made to the callers upon Edison; and to give simply the
names of persons of distinction would fill many pages of this record. Some were mere
consumers of time; others were gladly welcomed, like Lord Kelvin, the greatest physicist
of the last century, with whom Edison was always in friendly communication. "The first
time I saw Lord Kelvin, he came to my laboratory at Menlo Park in 1876." (He reported
most favorably on Edison's automatic telegraph system at the Philadelphia Exposition of
1876.) "I was then experimenting with sending eight messages simultaneously over a
wire by means of synchronizing tuning-forks. I would take a wire with similar apparatus
at both ends, and would throw it over on one set of instruments, take it away, and get it
back so quickly that you would not miss it, thereby taking advantage of the rapidity of
electricity to perform operations. On my local wire I got it to work very nicely. When Sir
William Thomson (Kelvin) came in the room, he was introduced to me, and had a
number of friends with him. He said: `What have you here?' I told him briefly what it
was. He then turned around, and to my great surprise explained the whole thing to his
friends. Quite a different exhibition was given two weeks later by another well-known
Englishman, also an electrician, who came in with his friends, and I was trying for two
hours to explain it to him and failed."
After the introduction of the electric light, Edison was more than ever in demand socially,
but he shunned functions like the plague, not only because of the serious interference
with work, but because of his deafness. Some dinners he had to attend, but a man who ate
little and heard less could derive practically no pleasure from them. "George Washington
Childs was very anxious I should go down to Philadelphia to dine with him. I seldom
went to dinners. He insisted I should go--that a special car would leave New York. It was
for me to meet Mr. Joseph Chamberlain. We had the private car of Mr. Roberts, President
of the Pennsylvania Railroad. We had one of those celebrated dinners that only Mr.
Childs could give, and I heard speeches from Charles Francis Adams and dif- ferent
people. When I came back to the depot, Mr. Roberts was there, and insisted on carrying
my satchel for me. I never could understand that."
Among the more distinguished visitors of the electric- lighting period was President Diaz,
with whom Edison became quite intimate. "President Diaz, of Mexico, visited this
country with Mrs. Diaz, a highly educated and beautiful woman. She spoke very good
English. They both took a deep interest in all they saw. I don't know how it ever came
about, as it is not in my line, but I seemed to be delegated to show them around. I took
them to railroad buildings, electric-light plants, fire departments, and showed them a
great variety of things. It lasted two days." Of another visit Edison says: "Sitting Bull and
fifteen Sioux Indians came to Washington to see the Great Father, and then to New York,
and went to the Goerck Street works. We could make some very good pyrotechnics there,
so we determined to give the Indians a scare. But it didn't work. We had an arc there of a
most terrifying character, but they never moved a muscle." Another episode at Goerck
Street did not find the visitors quite so stoical. "In testing dynamos at Goerck Street we
had a long flat belt running parallel with the floor, about four inches above it, and
travelling four thousand feet a minute. One day one of the directors brought in three or
four ladies to the works to see the new electric-light system. One of the ladies had a little
poodle led by a string. The belt was running so smoothly and evenly, the poodle did not
notice the difference between it and the floor, and got into the belt before we could do
anything. The dog was whirled around forty or fifty times, and a little flat piece of leather
came out--and the ladies fainted."

No comments:

Post a Comment