Saturday 26 January 2013

The Social Side Of Edison -3


The Social Side Of Edison -3

 A very interesting period, on the social side, was the visit paid by Edison and his family
to Europe in 1889, when he had made a splendid exhibit of his inventions and apparatus
at the great Paris Centennial Exposition of that year, to the extreme delight of the French,
who welcomed him with open arms. The political sentiments that the Exposition
celebrated were not such as to find general sympathy in monarchical Europe, so that the
"crowned heads" were conspicuous by their absence. It was not, of course, by way of
theatrical antithesis that Edison appeared in Paris at such a time. But the contrast was
none the less striking and effective. It was felt that, after all, that which the great
exposition exemplified at its best --the triumph of genius over matter, over ignorance,
over superstition--met with its due recognition when Edison came to participate, and to
felicitate a noble nation that could show so much in the victories of civilization and the
arts, despite its long trials and its long struggle for liberty. It is no exaggeration to say that
Edison was greeted with the enthusiastic homage of the whole French people. They could
find no praise warm enough for the man who had "organized the echoes" and "tamed the
lightning," and whose career was so picturesque with eventful and romantic development.
In fact, for weeks together it seemed as though no Parisian paper was considered
complete and up to date without an article on Edison. The exuberant wit and fancy of the
feuilletonists seized upon his various inventions evolving from them others of the most
extraordinary nature with which to bedazzle and bewilder the reader. At the close of the
Exposition Edison was created a Commander of the Legion of Honor. His own exhibit,
made at a personal expense of over $100,000, covered several thousand square feet in the
vast Machinery Hall, and was centred around a huge Edison lamp built of myriads of
smaller lamps of the ordinary size. The great attraction, however, was the display of the
perfected phonograph. Several instruments were provided, and every day, all day long,
while the Exposition lasted, queues of eager visitors from every quarter of the globe were
waiting to hear the little machine talk and sing and reproduce their own voices. Never
before was such a collection of the languages of the world made. It was the first linguistic
concourse since Babel times. We must let Edison tell the story of some of his
experiences:
"At the Universal Exposition at Paris, in 1889, I made a personal exhibit covering about
an acre. As I had no intention of offering to sell anything I was showing, and was pushing
no companies, the whole exhibition was made for honor, and without any hope of profit.
But the Paris newspapers came around and wanted pay for notices of it, which we
promptly refused; whereupon there was rather a stormy time for a while, but nothing was
published about it.
"While at the Exposition I visited the Opera-House. The President of France lent me his
private box. The Opera-House was one of the first to be lighted by the incandescent lamp,
and the managers took great pleasure in showing me down through the labyrinth
containing the wiring, dynamos, etc. When I came into the box, the orchestra played the
`Star-Spangled Banner,' and all the people in the house arose; whereupon I was very
much embarrassed. After I had been an hour at the play, the manager came around and
asked me to go underneath the stage, as they were putting on a ballet of 300 girls, the
finest ballet in Europe. It seems there is a little hole on the stage with a hood over it, in
which the prompter sits when opera is given. In this instance it was not occupied, and I
was given the position in the prompter's seat, and saw the whole ballet at close range.
"The city of Paris gave me a dinner at the new Hotel de Ville, which was also lighted
with the Edison system. They had a very fine installation of machinery. As I could not
understand or speak a word of French, I went to see our minister, Mr. Whitelaw Reid, and
got him to send a deputy to answer for me, which he did, with my grateful thanks. Then
the telephone company gave me a dinner, and the engineers of France; and I attended the
dinner celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the discovery of photography. Then they
sent to Reid my decoration, and they tried to put a sash on me, but I could not stand for
that. My wife had me wear the little red button, but when I saw Americans coming I
would slip it out of my lapel, as I thought they would jolly me for wearing it."
Nor was this all. Edison naturally met many of the celebrities of France: "I visited the
Eiffel Tower at the invitation of Eiffel. We went to the top, where there was an extension
and a small place in which was Eiffel's private office. In this was a piano. When my wife
and I arrived at the top, we found that Gounod, the composer, was there. We stayed a
couple of hours, and Gounod sang and played for us. We spent a day at Meudon, an old
palace given by the government to Jansen, the astronomer. He occupied three rooms, and
there were 300. He had the grand dining-room for his laboratory. He showed me a
gyroscope he had got up which made the incredible number of 4000 revolutions in a
second. A modification of this was afterward used on the French Atlantic lines for
making an artificial horizon to take observations for position at sea. In connection with
this a gentleman came to me a number of years afterward, and I got out a part of some
plans for him. He wanted to make a gigantic gyroscope weighing several tons, to be run
by an electric motor and put on a sailing ship. He wanted this gyroscope to keep a
platform perfectly horizontal, no matter how rough the sea was. Upon this platform he
was going to mount a telescope to observe an eclipse off the Gold Coast of Africa. But
for some reason it was never completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment