Second, hold fact-finding meetings. Certainly, no all-round
knowledge can be acquired merely by glancing this way and that and listening to
hearsay. Of the data I obtained through fact-finding meetings, those on Hunan
Province and on Chingkangshan have been lost. The materials published here
consist mainly of the "Survey of Hsingkuo", the "Survey of
Changkang Township" and the "Survey of Tsaihsi Township".
Holding fact-finding meetings is the simplest, most practicable and most
reliable method, from which I have derived much benefit; it is a better school
than any university. Those attending such meetings should be really experienced
cadres of middle and lower ranks, or ordinary people. In my investigations of
five counties in Hunan Province and two counties in Chingkangshan, I approached
responsible cadres of middle rank; in the Hsunwu investigation I approached
cadres of the middle and lower ranks, a poor hsiutsai, [2] a bankrupt ex-president of the chamber of
commerce and a petty official in charge of county revenue who had lost his job.
All of these people gave me a great deal of information I had never even heard
of. The man who for the first time gave me a complete picture of the rottenness
of Chinese jails was a petty jailer I met during my investigation in Hengshan
County, Hunan. In my investigations of Hsingkuo County and Changkang and
Tsaihsi townships, I approached comrades working at the township level and
ordinary peasants. These cadres, the peasants, the hsiutsai, the
jailer, the merchant and the revenue clerk were all my esteemed teachers, and
as their pupil I had to be respectful and diligent and comradely in my
attitude; otherwise they would have paid no attention to me, and, though they
knew, would not have spoken or, if they spoke, would not have told all they
knew. A fact-finding meeting need not be large; from three to five or seven or
eight people are enough. Ample time must be allowed and an outline for the
investigation must be prepared; furthermore, one must personally ask questions,
take notes and have discussions with those at the meeting. Therefore one
certainly cannot make an investigation, or do it well, without zeal, a
determination to direct one's eyes downward and a thirst for knowledge, and
without shedding the ugly mantle of pretentiousness and becoming a willing
pupil. It has to be understood that the masses are the real heroes, while we
ourselves are often childish and ignorant, and without this understanding it is
impossible to acquire even the most rudimentary knowledge.
No comments:
Post a Comment